Camp Man in the summer of 1930, was the last
of the New York City Scout Camps to move to Ten Mile River. The
Camp Construction was not completed by opening day – sites not cleared,
water lines not filled in, and amphitheater not complete and such.
The Camp Staff arrived for Staff Training a
week before camp opened, coming from Queens by bus, arriving late
evening at dusk to be guided, with some difficulty, to their camp
quarters in the woods with no trails and with no campsite
clearings. To add (unintentionally) to the confusion, we had used
the Lenni-Lenape dictionary in naming the Unit Camps. All of this
could have been most discouraging, but with the great camp staff, it
wasn't. They accepted the challenge and in fine scouting spirit,
they started a fine camp.
Queens Council acquired the former Wel-Met
Girls' camp as their location on Crystal Lake as part of the Greater
New York Foundation gift. The camp was named for Judge Man who
helped with the Foundation as a representative for Queens
Council. The then property consisted of waterfront, five wooden
buildings on the hill, a dining hall and two wooden buildings on the
lakeshore. Stag Hall was the administration center. The
Scouts divided the property into Divisions "A" with 7 campsites.
The feature being the Landship Amochol for scouts interested in the
aquatic field. The "C" Division had four camp sites plus
Adirontrek - for Scouts interested in hiking, outdoor trails and
cooking. In each of the special sites members were easily
identifiable. The Amochol scouts sported a blue kerchief hooked
onto the right pant belt loop. The Trek scouts wore an
identifying red kerchief affixed to the right pant belt loop.
Camp periods were of two-week duration.
Following arrival usually by bus to the main parade grounds, staff
directed the scouts to Stag Hall for check-in, medical recheck and then
to the lake for the swim classification. Then scouts returned to
the parade grounds picked up their equipment and proceeded to their
assigned campsite. At this time all sites were provisional with a
Scoutmaster, Senior Patrol Leader who was usually a craft leader, and a
Junior Assistant Scoutmaster for nature study. After being shown
his bunk, the scout met with the Scoutmaster to review his advancement
record and discuss opportunities for the next rank and other pertinent
Each campsite composed in the "A" Division
with a Leader's Cabin with sleeping quarters in the rear and the front
was used as a gathering place for teaching crafts and or nature.
Scouts' quarters were cabins of 8 boy capacity usually two on each side
of the campfire circle. Adjacent to the leaders' lodge was the
fire pail rack composed usually of 8 water filled #10 cans painted red.
The camp provided an interfaith chapel for the
three different services. In 1938 the second campsite in "A" was
changed to a staff camp with three chaplains cabins.
Kernochan Division was named for Judge
Kernochan whose generosity and that of his friends made the camp
possible. A dining hall, administrative building, staff row for
program specialists, 6 tented campsites, latrines, and waterfront were
The same year "A" Division was named Lakeside
and "C" Division was called Central. The parade grounds were the
separation physically between the camps.
In 1953 at Lakeside, Ten Mile River
experimented with a dish washing facility operated under the
supervision by scouts. Each table of eight was assigned a space
which contained soapy water and a clean hot water rinse basin.
Each table appointed a waiter whose job it was to set the table
following the information board and getting plates, cups and utensils
from the dishwasher. At the conclusion of the meal, the
dishwasher would scrape and collect all the plates, cups, bowls,
pitchers and utensils and return to the dishwasher to clean up.
Two staff supervisors checked the scout out on completion of his
washing and placing the items cleaned in the correct space. Then
he returned to the dining hall to clean his table and again was checked
out. The system met with mostly enthusiasm but where a dishwasher
failed to perform, the table was covered with paper and at the next
meal that table usually settled their problem outside. They
missed a meal.
Daytime activities on campsite were
instruction for completing second or first class requirements.
Merit Badge instruction was available for scouts seeking that
Afternoon activities were opportunities to
pursue Merit Badges, unit scheduled swim periods, archery and
pioneering projects. Craft and nature lodges were open for scouts
that were interested.
Evening programs featured after supper
volleyball and softball games by units, canoeing and boating on the
lake. Dark evening programs were either at the unit campfire ring or in
the amphitheater for special all camp shows, skits, songfest, and
recognition's. Courts of Honor and Boards of Review were held at
the end of each period.
Usually a camp wide program stressing Scout
Skills was held the first week and the second week was a fun
event-college day, Indian day, Camp Elections, War, and Olympics.
All of these programs were Camp Lakeside programs.
Sunday afternoon programs for parents included
a waterfront fleet show, each unit selecting a theme and displaying
it. In front of the dining hall was a picnic grove with a water
fountain donated by the Queens Council Mothers' Club. This group
also raised funds for the Camp Kernochan stove replacement.
Suanhacky Lodge of the Order of the Arrow WWW
49 constructed a Lodge house opposite the Tower of Friendship.
The Tower of Friendship contained stones from all over the United
States and several foreign countries. The Tower was constructed
in front of Stag Hall, which burned down in 1937.
The purpose of the Tower of Friendship was the
desire of the officials of Camp Man to serve as a symbol and reminder
of the fond friendships and treasured memories made during the scouts
camping experience at Camp Man.
Scout Executive Charles M. Heistand, Camp
Director Joseph H. Brinton and Assistant Camp Director Russell A.
Turner conceived the idea of the Tower of Friendship.
A time capsule was placed in front of the
memorial in Camp Kernochan. There is a buried container with
pertinent information on the camp and other 1938 scout news.
In the late 1940's both a Catholic Chapel and
Jewish Temple site were constructed to serve all three camps. The
former interdenominational chapel was used for Protestant services.
Camp Central was closed in 1957 as two
campsites were attached to Camp Lakeside. Also in 1954 Hilltop
campsite on Stag Hall site was opened.
Camp Lakeside was eventually closed.
Unfortunately the dining hall had full-wall murals depicting humorous
scout activities. Greater New York Councils decided that they
would follow a full self-reliance program including cooking meals under
Camp Man, Queens Council Boy Scout Camps Ten
Mile River, Sullivan County, New York operated the following campsites:
Schajawonge, Eleimeken, Achewen, Cuwe, Tachanigeu, Pachgeeken,
Pachesgink, Waugapoak, Adirontrek, Wipochk, Tauwatawique, Takachsin,
Kiwiken and the Landship Amochol.
Back to: Stories
From Camp Man
Last Updated: March 2, 2007
Page Copyright © 2007 TMR Scout Museum